3.04.2010

Introduction: Corey Hayes (photographer to the stars and church staff assistants)

As promised, a continued set of introductions...




True Stories
Sam Wedelich & Corey Hayes
Show Specs:
251 W 80 Street (Btwn B'way & West End; All Angels' Church), NY, NY 10024
Opens March 6: 6-7:30 Opening, 7:30-9 Coffee House Concert, 9-10 Reception & Second Viewing





Corey Hayes (photographer to the stars and church staff assistants)

 
Corey is a stunning portrait photographer.  For True Stories he is using a new body of work that I won't tell you much about because I don't know if I am supposed to.  I did just sneak into the prep area though, and let me assure you, the stun-factor is up there.  I will leak that the photos Corey is showing are all black and white, my fav.



Corey has an amazing ability to capture his subjects without all the extra detritus and props that some people use.  In fact, more often than not, Corey's got someone in front of a flat backdrop, which lately seems about as unpopular and day-glo and oil paints.  I find it refreshing and admire the challenge limitations bring to the photographer.  Within restriction, photographer and subject rise to the challenge of portraying personality with just body language and expression.

Personally, I also love Corey's photography because of my obsessive attraction to post-minimalism.  Striped down, but with very singular and pure intention.  Is my penchant toward the black and white becoming clearer?   Corey's sense of balance and composition always keep me on my toes (squealing with joy like a piglet that love delicious photography).


(The pictures here were all pilfered from his website, not the body of work in the show.)

Also, last year Corey worked with the ever indomitable Russell & Cheryl Sharmin on a book titled NightShift NYC.  The Sharmin's did the writin' and Corey did the photo-in'.  There are some great shots where Corey proved he can go beyond the portraits.  But really, why would you?  People are just so interesting!

Corey also took one of my favorite adult pictures of yours truly.  Here, indulge my ego.

Corey's links:
Corey Hayes Photography
NightShift NYC


Who'd You Miss:
Sam Wedelich

Still to come:


Catherine Hanna and Simnia Singer-Sayada
Melanie Penn
Alexa Wilkinson
Paul Johnson
Cory Cavin

No comments: